RCU Forums - View Single Post - old timers look here must be 50+ years only
Old 01-26-2021, 06:29 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

I was very lucky to have him with me that day. He was No. 4 of 4, all of them made Eagle (Troop record for one family) one even scored 3 palms! Scott was the reason I got back into R/C as something we could together though he didn't stick with it. Their troop was no basking weaving troop either. The got in a little ruckus with the council over single rope repelling. They leadership had two nationally certified instructors and one international certified instructions. The shut them up real fast when the troop leaders demanded the credentials of those trying to enforce rules on them. The council instructors didn't have the certifications to back up their judgement and they knew they couldn't win.
The council lost to them over fund raising ventures too. They wanted to limit them to council run fund raising (popcorn) but they lost that one too. The troop was selling a specially formulated Eckroat Seed Co. made Scout Brand Lawn Fertilizer, the family that owned the company were big supporters and very influential in the community I suspect a few heads rolled over that one. A lot of troops in the area would go on to sell it also but they started it. My boys all paid for camp and summer trip every year from their sales. It was the only way they could afford to go so they knew they had to hustle. Mom and Dad hauled a lot of their larger deliveries and Mom kept a spreadsheet of customers for them to call every year. The information was handed down to the troop when they aged out of scouts. The troop would order two 50 bag pallets at the start of the season, one for us and one for the troop and additional pallets as needed. The troop's profits went to pay insurance and upkeep on the old troop bus and trailer. They boys got a good amount per bag compared to what the troop got from BSA popcorn and donations were received in addition to the purchases. My boys had several customers who bought 10 to 15 bags a year since we delivered. I would sometimes put 100 miles on the car after work delivering, I drove the boys loaded and unloaded. It was worth it, they had a deep appreciation for those trips too. I think kids appreciate and take better care of the things they earn themselves, they all bought their own cars and cell phones.