RCU Forums - View Single Post - Welcome to Club SAITO !
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2021, 03:08 AM
1200SportsterRider

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by husafreak
I just got a 150 high comp and I'd like to get more info about exhaust "systems" that work well with these engines. The one I got has the two stroke looking muffler with a lot of small holes for the exhaust, it attatches to the cylinder with a 45 degree curved pipe, pretty cool looking but might require a big cutout in the cowl and that decidedly non scale look. I have found straight pipes to work well and sound great on smaller Saito engines, they don't seem any louder either. So maybe I could just use a flex pipe in place of the stock muffler? I see that Saito sells 90 degree angle manifolds to transition to their flex pipe but isn't that too aggressive? Note that I bought a Seagull Yak-11 Reno Air Racer for this engine and the exit from the round cowl would be a nice small hole if I could use a pipe type exhaust. Obviously if I fly this like its full scale counterpart it will be wide open swinging a high pitch prop a lot of the time so if the type of pipe has any effect on performance or heat build up that would be a consideration too.
I originally bought this for a WWI bipe but decided a potentially high strung powerhouse would be happier in something fast and clean.
In my part of the world we called that muffler the Fire Hose Nozzle muffler, It has a nice soft sound, it's just big, mine now wears a Turbo Header like Lonnie mentioned above. This one was badly castorated, I cleaned up on my lathe.
The following users liked this post:
husafreak (02-03-2021)