RCU Forums - View Single Post - Nexa P-47D Hairless Joe
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2021, 08:13 AM
allanflowers

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by jwalk2c
Interesting that you added a dihedral.
That encourages me to start on one of the 2 P47's I have inbox. (TarHeal Hal, and a Razorback version) and would like to know how you added dihedral.

Impressive door brackets. I have studied your picture, but cannot figure out how you attached the alum tube to the mounting surface?
Could you elaborate?
Thank you

John
Hi John,
I cut the one side of the dihedral brace to give a bit more angle. I could have made a whole new one with the new angle on both top and bottom but thought this would work okay since the stress point on the brace is still as large. Then, when epoxying it all together, I used plenty of glue to make up for the angle on the root rib fit, which is now not so good.
I did add tape to the joint on both sides (just packing tape, didn't have any fiberglass tape). To get more angle, one could also make
a wedge shaped shim but that would be more work than I wanted to do. Today (hopefully) is the maiden so I may soon know if the change is good or not.
This modification is NOT recommended for high stress flying but I don't do that anyway. The drawing exaggerates the angle change by the way - it really is fairly small.

The bracket was made by bending aluminum sheet around a drill bit of the right size in a vise. This needed a spacer to fit right so I attached that to the hat shaped part, marked,
drilled and bolted it all together - before slicing off the individual parts like baloney. With a little fitting, it did the job.