RCU Forums - View Single Post - AMA Bashing is Pointless
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2021, 02:55 PM
ECHO24

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aymodeler
I am not so sure. There are organizations like the FPV Freedom Coalition (https://fpvfc.org/) and Flite Test Community that could serve as the seed for something like this. I will grant that Flite Test Community seems to have lost some steam, but the overall FT organization has a lot of organizing muscle behind it and if that got leveraged, they could quickly expand. Any such organization would look very different than the AMA (but that is the whole point, isn't it).

Agreed, but there are also a lot of voices rejecting the club model all together. As you point out, the drone community does not rely on a fixed flying site, but there are increasing numbers of us "plank" flyers that are also turning away from club fields. Many are gravitating to smaller aircraft that can be flown from a soccer field or other open space. This is especially popular with the foam board crowd. I also know of a private group got together to lease their own flying site without an AMA charter (but I will grant that this is a rare ting).

If you live in an congested area like the Northeast, you may find your options limited, but there is a lot of open land in this country where finding a place to fly that is not an AMA club is not that hard. This is especially true if you are flying light weight electric stuff that does not depend on a well maintained runway (which is growing in popularity every day, especially with the younger crowd).

Agreed, that was kind of my whole point.

As the old saying goes, necessity is the mother of all invention. The AMA greatly expanded and grew out of the need for people to have places to fly. People have a lot more options today and are less dependent on fixed flying sites with improved runways, so once us old farts who fly traditional model aircraft die off, the need for clubs and the AMA will greatly diminish. But as government regulation continues to evolve and increase it will drive the need for advocacy organizations and I am confident that such organizations will find their footing when it does.
Advocate for what?