RCU Forums - View Single Post - AMA Bashing is Pointless
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2021, 03:49 PM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aymodeler
I maintain that the AMA is probably not necessary for the continued growth at this point.
This is yet another fallacy propagated by the AMA shills and execs. "We MUST grow the hobby!"

Our hobby is how some choose to use excess money and time. Does anyone ever stop and ask, "Why? Why MUST we grow the hobby?" Who does growing the hobby serve? The AMA and the manufacturers, PERIOD.

I was drawn into this hobby for my love of all things aviation and the urge and ability to create something with my own two hands. Once I had built my first plane and took it to the club field, I also found the joy of camaraderie with others who share the same passion and that, also, became a "part" of the hobby for me. As my skills and knowledge progressed, I also found a passion for helping others to be successful and enjoy the hobby and that became a part of the hobby to me as well.

I don't think that my experience is a whole lot different than the majority of members, therefore, it is my conclusion and belief that it is the members' and the clubs' responsibility to be the avenue for "growth", or at least provide a positive environment for the beginner to engage and be positive ambassadors for our hobby where the general public is involved and it is the responsibility of the AMA to support that membership and those clubs in those endeavors, working on our behalf to advocate our great hobby to the powers that be in order to assure that we can thrive and continue to enjoy our flying privilege's as we have for generations. In that model, growth will happen organically, by attracting folks who are genuinely interested in and passionate about the hobby, not because, "I need insurance to fly", or because they want access to telemedicine, etc, etc. It insures that we have an active, interested and engaged membership, whether it be 100,000 or 1,000,000 strong.

just my humble $.02

Astro