RCU Forums - View Single Post - Paint and varnish questions
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2021, 08:59 AM
fuchstraumer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah I personally use a satin varnish - somewhere between matte and gloss - for my filtering and weathering pre-pass after adding decals. Satin varnish seems to give me a nice good mixture of flow and paint binding, whereas gloss makes it harder for things like oil drop filtering and other more diffuse techniques to adhere well at all (it ALL just flows into crevices - whereas I think we want SOME flow into those areas and some general stickiness to add variation to the model's paint)

the final sealant coat is usually a matte one though, since at that point i don't want to affect how things look much at all and just want to seal in the work so far. most of my approach comes from 1/35 models though, and you will probably find less weathering is needed on larger scale models. especially at 1/16, you just end up needing a LOOTTT more of all your paints and products to get anywhere.

edit: as for manufacturers i was using all tamiya varnishes, but in the next few weeks i'm getting VMS satin varnish that i'm quite excited to try as it looks like exactly the kind of finish i want. i'm getting a ton of their other weathering products too, and i'm especially excited to play with their track painting pigment and steel pigment for burnishing / metal wear. also got a ton of mud/dirt pigments, but those are absolutely just for my 1/35 models - no need to throw fake dirt on a 1/16 rc model, haha