RCU Forums - View Single Post - Effects of out of trim control surfaces
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2021, 09:05 AM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I enjoyed each of the replies. Much of my reason for the post is my recent giant scale build of what I call an Ein-stick-er (a cross between a stick and an Eindecker) uses the planform of the 30cc Ultrastick. The wing foil is the same and basic measurements and areas are similar with the main difference a thrust line mounted wing compared to shoulder.

The Ultrastick has a good bit of up trim in the elevators (1/8") and of course adjusting incidence of wing or stab to remove would be difficult given a glued in stab and wing sitting in a saddle. And... the plane flies well other than not knife edging worth a hoot, having both serious tuck and roll components. So, KE was simply removed from its flight profile.

When designing the Ein-sticker-er, the desire was to solve those issues hence the incidence adjusters which were easy to do in a giant scale scratch build effort. Also, the Ein-stick-er was given thrust line mounted wing panels to reduce one of the drag components. While tempted greatly to use a high stab to balance drag couples of stab and undercarriage, concern that the thick foiled wing would shadow a high stab when pulling the nose up during landing and create an elevator stall problem nagged... so stayed with the venerable low stab of a stick that has traditionally provided very good pitch control during landing.

The Ein-stick-er is the better of the two fliers. While it is 2oz heavier, it has five inches more wingspan so is slightly more agile. Notable is that for whatever reasons, the Ein-stick-er has no roll component from rudder control compared to the 30cc Ultrastick that has a good bit and that of course is a great plus in allowing the Ein-stick-er to knife edge well. I'm not smart enough to know why one has a roll component to rudder control and the other doesn't.

Three possibilities exist in my mind. 1st, the Ultrastick (an Arf) does not enjoy neutral ailerons whereas the Ein-stick-er of course does given the ability to trim the independent adjusters for neutral elevator and neutral ailerons. 2nd, the Ultrastick has a shoulder wing and the Ein-stick-er thrust line. 3rd, the stab is not quite as low on the Ein-stick-er due to curved boom on all four sides.

Flight trim is a fascinating dimension and I'm in agreement with the comments that once a good trimmed air frame is enjoyed, thereafter one can sense the difference and appreciate the better and even dislike the poorer. The old saying that its all good... some is just better than others, becomes harder to argue.