RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ryan STA/STM Brotherhood
View Single Post
Old 04-19-2021, 07:26 AM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 272 Likes on 237 Posts
Default It was a Fine and Pleasant Misery

So yesterday I actually got some time to work on the Ryan and to quote the title of one of outdoor writer Pat McManus "It was a Fine and Pleasant Misery"! Let's see, I discovered F-13 former was missing the slots for the building crutch so I cut those. Next since it was going to be difficult to do so after gluing it in I decided to build the tail wheel assembly. First I couldn't find any 4-40 machine screw the correct length, nextI discoverd I didn't have any 4-40 blind nuts or self locking nuts, just standard nuts. The I blew an hour finding the correct control arm that would allow me to cut it down and still drill a hole for the clevis. Then I discovered I had no 5/32" piano wire so that shot down making that assembly. Next I decided to go ahead in glue a few fuselage formers only to discover F-12 had a crutch slot on one side that was only 1/2 the proper length. Next I broke 3 balsa formers in half trying to get them installed. I finally determined I needed to add a piece of balsa the same dimensions of the crutch material to one side of each former between the building crutch slots. I got about 4 of them glued up and the formers reassembled before it was time to clean up for the night. I shot down a whole afternoon and got about of 45 minutes of worthwhile building time in. Like I said "It was a Fine and Pleasant Misery"! (Sigh) Some days are just not worth chewing your way thru the straps! Name:  biggrin.gif
Views: 298
Size:  1.0 KB