RCU Forums - View Single Post - 5 Short Words
Thread: 5 Short Words
View Single Post
Old 04-21-2021, 02:34 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jester_s1
I agree with aymodeler. An awful lot of the value is in today's results from past efforts like organizing competitions and fostering a contest culture, tying the hobby together, advocacy, helping clubs get organized and insured, and so on. If the AMA disappeared today it would probably take 5-10 years to see the effects- clubs closing, regulations without us being represented, some good events stopping or shrinking due to lack of publicity or promotion, and a general disjointedness without a national organization to set the tone. I too think we get more than the cost of membership. Shoot, I probably couldn't even buy the insurance for what AMA costs, let alone get everything else.

There are expenditures that the AMA does that I don't agree with. I also agree with many others that the current AMA business model is not sustainable. But they are giving RC pilots a good value even with that. The changes are going to be about survival rather than value.
Don't look now, but much of that is happening anyway.

Since the peak in 2003, in constant year dollars:
- Club fees are down 18 percent
- Sanctions down 6 percent
- Magazine revenue down 49 percent
- Membership revenue down 40 percent
- Total revenue down 31 percent
- Total assets down 49 percent
- Net assets down 44 percent

Expenses (note 1)
- Total expenses down 16 percent
- Program expenses down 32 percent

Meanwhile:
- Salaries UP 19 percent
- Executive compensation UP over 156 percent

If that's "value", I'd sure hate to see the opposite!

Note 1: Program expenses are directly related to core mission of organization. Total expenses are program expenses plus overhead. Note that total expenses are being cut at half the rate revenue is dropping (not good). Also note that program expenses (direct spending on core mission) are dropping at double the rate of total expenses. That means more and more of your AMA dollar is being consumed by overhead.