RCU Forums - View Single Post - 5 Short Words
Thread: 5 Short Words
View Single Post
Old 04-22-2021, 03:56 AM
astrohog
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aymodeler
So I get your point about the efficiency of how the AMA operates and am total agreement. BUT, when I look at the notion of the value I get out of my AMA membership, I look at it from a transactional perspective. Do I get what I want at a price I am OK with?

Think of it like this, you go to a store to buy some drill bits. You look at the product and the price and you make a decision if the drill bits are worth the price. You don't analyze the manufacturer's financial statements and say, hmm if this company operated more efficiently, they could sell these drill bits for less. You assessment of value is purely a transactional.

Now I know that this is not an apples to apples comparison, The AMA is supposed to be a club, not a for profit enterprise and we as members of the club have a right to demand that our dues be used in the most efficient and effective manner possible. No argument there at all! The AMA does need to improve and we have a right to demand that.

But if I go back to the question that was asked, do I feel like I am getting what I need at a fair price (i.e.; do I feel like I am getting value out of my dues), then I have to say yes. I get exactly what I want (a nice place to fly and insurance) for a price I consider to be reasonable.
I bet there was more than one brand of drill bit at the store......

Astro