RCU Forums - View Single Post - NEXA Piper PA-18 Super Cub 106"
View Single Post
Old 05-15-2021, 08:06 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smile NEXA Piper PA-18 Super Cub 106"

Hi Guys - I've been absent for about 5 years now for the most part. I couldn't walk and I sold all my planes, figuring that was that. Here it is, 2021, and I can walk again - but now I have no planes. What I'd give to still have my GP Giant Super Sportster.

Well, I don't so we're moving on, we're walking..... I'm looking at a few planes; the first being a 106" NEXA PA-18 Super Cub / ARF. I ran into a guy yesterday who said that nobody flies JR radios anymore, Spectrum is the big thing, so I'm really at a disadvantage here. My knowledge base is at an all-time low, obsolete for the most part. Those who know me know I can build a heck of a model, and it will fly super-well and hold up well. I always rework the important parts of the ARFs so there are no failures, and I usually start the process by throwing out all of the hardware and buying new. So I have that covered. What I need some help with is Electric motors. I'm going to try to use electric power only; no glow or gas.
On the website, they're showing this plane being matched up with a GP26 electric motor. I tend to use a bit more power than others do, but in this case I'm trying to balance weight and power. With this wing area, I'm hoping to grab a few thermals in between power applications, but I don't want it to be underpowered, either.

What's your take on the GP26 size motor? What radios are the most well-used these days?

The second plane I have my eye on is more aerobatic; it's a Sig EDGEtra 3D Hybrid EP ARF 60 -- One guy said he used a Rimfire 80 and was pleased with it. Any opinions? I'm okay with the recommended HITEC servos for each of these as long as they're metal gear servos. I've never heard of the HITEC carbonite servose they're talking about, looks like for the elevators. Those must be stronger? Opinions? I'm planning on researching them, of course.

I'm not seeing much in the used forums.

This is going to get interesting, because I don't even have a covering iron left!
I have a new girlfriend, and she LOVES RC planes, so she's encouraging me to build one or two and have some fun. I just don't have the space I used to have -- the ex got the house and the work space, etc. and I'm in an apartment in upstate New York -- so I'm going to go with electric for the present. I have a few leads on some good local fields, so that's exciting. So, I have to catch up on my knowledge, and I also have to learn all about the best electric power systems out here today.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and taking the time to share them with me, gents! And ladies!

Jim