RCU Forums - View Single Post - McCoy 09
Thread: McCoy 09
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2021, 11:01 PM
ffkiwi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vekenti View Post
I have received the engine and I figured out that the engine head (the part they call the muff I guess?) screws off. I used 2 soft pieces of balsa and a bench vise and just enough pressure to hold on to the head while I screwed it off. No damage to the coating, although I can see where this method could cause the fins to break or worse damage, I didn't have a strap wrench around. The piston and cylinder looked really clean. Very light carbon build-up on the top of the piston. The crankshaft, case, and head all look really clean and the red is still nice and bright red. The contra piston is a little stiff but moves smoothly, and the O-ring looks like it was recently replaced. I'm not sure how well compression shows the age of diesels, but completely removing the compression screw the engine still has a nice pop to it.

As for the fuel. The starting fluid I chose has 40-70% Heptane, 30-50% Ethyl Ether, and 5-10% Carbon Dioxide. I have been told that Heptane can be treated as Kerosene in the fuel mix, and should be safe. I plan on starting off with 38% Kero, 30% Castor, 30% Ether, and 2% Cetane Improver. Too little Ether will cause issues in the engine, so would it be a good idea to include a little more Ether in the mix?

I'm not really looking for power out of this engine even though I heard these McCoys are real powerhouses. This is an engine to learn on to see what Diesel is all about. I plan on dropping it into my 15 size cub. Should pull it along just fine I think. If not I will build a new model based around just this engine.
In your shoes I would try and find a better source of easy start ether-with a possible level of only 30% in the can before you extract it-you would end up with a fuel containing only about 20% ether-taking the lowest end of the stated ether range-conversely if around 55% ether before you start then this wouldn't reflect a problem in the final fuel mix....the problem is-you have no way of finding out how much ether is in the easy start mix in that particular can-unless you have easy access to a very well equipped analytical chemistry laboratory...! This is why I DON'T recommend using such products unless you have absolutely no alternative-and if you don't-then try and get one of the top line products such as John Deere brand which is usually 80% ether or better.....at this point of your experience level the last thing you need is a sub par fuel mix-diesels can be tricky enough for new users with everything bang on in terms of settings and fuel.
I do agree though-that in your case you can factor the heptane content as the kerosene component of the fuel. Ideally-try and get an experienced diesel operator to show you how to handle a diesel-it is not entirely intuitive until you get the knack.

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'