RCU Forums - View Single Post - Sukhoi Su-17 M4 "Fitter", 1/6 Scale Project
Old 06-15-2021, 10:19 AM
Ron S
My Feedback: (2)

Received 205 Likes on 125 Posts

After the landing gear was modeled up in Solidworks, I grew the basic strut parts out of ABS plastic. I also grew a bagel sized tire shape, to eventually use as a plug for the whole tire casting experiment to be done. And I started machining some of the lathe "turned" parts for the NLG. I have a Small lathe, and am certainly not an expert with it, but I was going to try my best with it, and learn during the whole process. I do not have a mill, so any "flat machined" type parts I was going to have to make other arrangements.

Ultimate Jets actually had a perfect sized/shaped Behotec tire available for the NLG, so there was one success. I quickly ordered a few. For the next few months, I started making aluminum chips, ordering more bits and radius cutters, springs, and more aluminum stock. The Aluminum parts were from 7075-T6, and some of the less significant parts are 6061 (T3 I think) - whatever the common heat treat is. If I were to do it all over again, I'd just order nothing but 7075-T6.

At this point, I started describing this build in my JPO District VIII column of Contrails (~ February 2019).

A NLG assembly, and the start of a MLG strut assembly.

Lower strut assemblies, for the NLG and MLG - 2 sets.

Plastic printed (grown) ABS struts, along with machined rims and the Behotec NLG tire. the plan was to make 2 usable landing gear sets for now.

MLG or NLG rims in early stages of being turned on the lathe. Not even sure which is which right now. :-)

The following users liked this post:
grbaker (06-18-2021)