RCU Forums - View Single Post - F-16XL ARF by Global Knight Models from Global Jet Club
Old 07-21-2021, 04:24 PM
Viper1GJ
My Feedback: (20)

Received 330 Likes on 217 Posts

Nose gear fix...not fixed

Nose gear scissor links installed on front of strut from factory. Backwards.

This is after I started loosing all the ball bearings. I taped the bottom to save the ball bearings and had to cut the motor wire because it was impossible to disconnect from the top inside the cockpit area. I was able to disconnect the steering servo.

I found out there were 3 bearing races with all the balls loose inside. Some of the balls captured in the box.
Oh boy. JP has such great documentation and manuals! If only I had Known to keep pressure on the strut when turning. What a great design, loose ball bearings in 3 different races, that all have to be kept together by the steering tiller set screws! Yuck.

Taped to keep the balls inside when getting gear out.

These fell out of the race and inside the strut tube

As you can see I lost a lot of ball bearings. I remembered I had the old damaged nose gear so I opened it up to get some ball bearings out of it.

Getting most of them back in with tweezers, tooth pick and fingers. I had to disconnect the retract brace link to assemble the strut. It has a tiny C clip which loves to spring away.

Most of the lost bearings were replaced from the old damaged gear. This process took about 2 hrs. After a couple of failed attempts at getting it back together I learned that taping the joints together as I got them reassembled made it easier to keep the joints from opening up as you put the next part on. Very tedious.

I finally got the gear reassembled. I put a service disconnect plug on the motor wires to make any future service easier.

And here is where the real trouble started. The nose gear will not operate. The motor will try to turn and amp out. I did not change anything on the motor or jack screw. Everything looks the same as all the photos I took of the old one. I can not see any binding. The new plug is working. The motor worked perfect before I reversed the scissor links. I have no clue. There is no manual, no info on any website and no one to call that I know of. I'm loosing confidence in the JP gear and any support for it. I really like this jet but I cant fly it. I'm frustrated and bummed out. Help.
Gary

Last edited by Viper1GJ; 07-21-2021 at 04:29 PM.