RCU Forums - View Single Post - Luke's Barn find Panther....part 2
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2021, 07:58 PM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by MAUS45
Those wheels look great. So will this be a D with the upgraded wheels?
Thanks. I think I'll be leaving it an A version. Perhaps later I might change my mind but I still have two other Maier Panthers
to be worked on, one of which that I could turn into D if I really want to. I'm waiting for fasteners for the wheels; I now seem
to have two options.I want to do right by this old boy but on the other hand I want to get back to my other projects.

I just finished cleaning up and resolving some issues I found with the gearboxes but they're reinstalled and tested. I also discovered
that along with the bent final drive shaft the associated sprocket was bent, actually has a hairline crack on one of the spokes so I was
limited as to what I could do with it. I do have new OEM Maier sprockets but don't want to burn them up here when these are serviceable.
The sprocket on these is a very strong part and even in the state of this one it has many years life yet.

Once I have my wheels assembled I'll begin painting. I have to rebuild the turret gearbox as it was not a usable part as is; the bearing race is ok and there are remains of the original gearing but it decidedly needs attention. Also haven't decided whether I'll keep the tiin plated steel fuel tank that was in this model but it needs a larger than normal fuel tank due to the HB 61. 61 engines usually are good to drink an ounce of fuel /minute and being in this sort of installation with the engine heavily relying on the cooling effects of fuel it likely needs to be run rich which will suck fuel all the faster. Still I'd prefer a poly fuel tank to avoid the potential for leaks and crud/rust from the tin plated steel tank- not sure if this was a Klingeberger original or if some previous owner made it. With my first Panther years ago my dad had made twin brass fuel tanks ( still have them) that I installed where the 1:1 tank has them but removed them due to copper interaction with nitro methane in the fuel. The original Maier powerplant was a Webra .40 Blackhead which was a little more economical on fuel so could get away with a smaller fuel tank

Basically other than the wheels and resolving damage and other pet peeves I'm going to keep this old boy as original as possible.
If I allow myself to make all the upgrades I've ever done to one of these I'll never finish it. I have several 1/6 projects I wish to begin.

I'm setting a goal of having this model back on its tracks in a month; the wheels being my greatest detour in finishing her up.

Jerry