RCU Forums - View Single Post - Best performing wood props
View Single Post
Old 08-07-2021, 05:14 AM
tedsander

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts

I asked just this on another forum, and many came back highly recommending Falcon props, over Xoar. As with anything, the specifics of your engine and plane will determine "best". I had a slight scuff on the tip of my Xoar 20x8 so got a new Falcon. Ground rpm did not change, and no retuning was needed. In the air, it was a bit quieter, performance did not change much for my setup. The odd part was I made a smooth, perfect, first landing with it, and on the roll out the engine quit. In going to get the plane off the runway, noted that one blade had sheared length-wise, and 3/4's was missing! Yikes! In 54 years of flying, this is the first time I have shed a blade not due to a ground strike!
Not at all saying that the brand is off my list. It worked well. It's wood, which can have hidden flaws. So it and Xoar are still on my list of brands to use. Far, far better than the wooden clubs of Zinger or Master Airscrew I had in the past been forced to use due to unavailability of other brands....
Just, especially with wood, the old safety advice stands - be behind the prop before doing any run ups, and don't allow anyone to be in line either side for a long distance.