RCU Forums - View Single Post - Ziroli Fockewolf 190 Restoration
View Single Post
Old 08-16-2021, 05:46 AM
gonzalobures

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Ziroli Fockewolf 190 Restoration

FW 190 "Schneewittchen" "Blanca Nieves" "Snow White"

I have just embarked in the restoration of a Ziroli FW190 built by Master Builder, Ramon Medina some 20 years ago. Ramon is one of the three best Puertorican model builders I have had the pleasure to know.

Robert Tanner, a friend and RC club member of ours, asked Ramon to please build this model for him. He choose Ramon for his extraordinary building skills, patience and realism in his projects.

The model throughout the years passed thru the hands of Robert, Ramon himself and Wilfredo Morales. I always liked Ramon's FW 190 and asked him if he ever needed a foster home for it, I would love to have it. Finally the model is with me and I plan to restore it to its original beauty.

When I got the model it had a Quadra 75, a very good engine but not with the performance of an alternate power plant I had in moth balls, a 3W 70i. This is a very powerful engine with a higher performance than the Quadra.

I started the restoration by removing the Quadra, installing the 3W and preparing the cowling. The model lacked an air dam to channel the incoming air to the required areas inside the cowling. I prepared and installed one. Painted the cowling and made the squadron shields. The engine ignition was installed in an area were the airflow would cool it. The ignition power switch was installed in an opening available in the cowling. Before ending this phase, insured the system was working with a spark in the plug. I had to make a choke activation mechanism since the 3W is a rear carburetor engine and no access was available. The choke lever exits the cowling on the right of the cowling and only when you activate the choke, will it extend out side the cowling. Also the throttle linkage hat to be re routed for proper operation. An area that did require great planning and work was the access to the carburetor mixture needles. The 3W 70i with the wrap around muffler has a big design flaw. Once the muffler is installed, it fully blocks the idle mixture needle and lets you see hardly or access the high end needle. I had to modify the needle with a pin passing thru them. This modification permits me to access and adjust the needles thru the top of the engine compartment behind the firewall. Even thou its not convenient, at least it permits to adjust the needles without having to remove the muffler. In order to have a good experience firing up the engine, I opened the carburetor and cleaned all filters and replaced the pump. Adjusted/replaced the fuel stopper operated by the pump.
Presently the cowling is awaiting some weathering and black puff marks (very light) to complete the winter camouflage.

Next I moved to the radio compartment and testing all servos and wiring. I installed two 3Kmah LIFE batteries in parallel to power the receiver in the main mode and used a 2100mah as a back up in case of main battery failure. A red LED is installed outside the model on the right side to indicate whenever, if ever the backup battery takes over. That will order a quick trip back to the runway. I then tested all servos and their operation. Insured they moved in the right direction, adjusted end points and dual rates.
I took advantage of working inside the fuselage to replace the fuel tank and all fuel hoses. That portion is all spanking new.

Next the retracts were checked. The FW190 is known for its weird and troublesome struts. The retracts the model has installed are special (retrofitted) Century Jet Models. These retracts originally came with the simple trunnion operating system like all other retracts come. Only the struts less than 90 degree operation changed to provide the scale angle (not 90 degrees to the ground). The original retracts did not have the brace between the strut and wing that provided strength and stability. CJM retrofitted their retracts adding the brace which is operated with a small piston assemble to lock the strut to the wing and prevent retract failure. The system requires a four way pneumatic valve that synchronizes the trunnion movement with the unlocking of the brace. The adjustment of this synchronization is tricky, but once is reached it works reliably. IT also provides firmness to the assembly during landing.
Once the operation of the retracts was verified, the model was ready for cosmetics restoration.

The lower part of the wing was painted sky blue as used by many German grouppens. The wing tips were painted in the original Dark yellow (Marigold). The top of the wing was painted white with the wing tips Dark Yellow (Marigold) as the lower wing side. The wing now awaits weathering and lack puff marks (very light) as the cowling.

The lower part of the fuselage was painted Sky Blue just like the wing bottom. I also repainted the Dark Yellow fuselage waist band. Need to select and install a unit number.

Meanwhile, I took the fuselage to the Club to test the engine and adjust the mixture and throttle settings. Ramon had made a “prosthesis” that attaches to the fuselage and permits rolling the fuselage on its own without having to installed the wing. This is an excellent tool in firing the engine without having to take the humungous wing and having it in the middle while doing adjustments. A 24 X 10 wooden prop was used in the test. The test went perfect. The choke system worked as planned and designed. The engine fired up on the first try after choking it. High end was perfect with no need to adjust the high end needle. The only adjustment need was the throttle settings for high end and idle. The engine ran smoothly and the trial went better than expected.

Will continue the restoration project with the fuselage painting. We are in the peak of hurricane season in the Caribbean. Last weekend we had a scare with Fred Tropical storm. This week its "Grace". So in the weeks to come, the project will face unplanned delays due to the weather. God permits, we will only face scares and no storm like 2017 Maria.

Will keep the thread informed of progress.

"Blanca Nieves" in Ramon Medina's hands

"Blanca Nieves" in Ramon Medina's hands

"Blanca Nieves state when I got it in May 2021

individual FW 190 "Blanca Nieves" logo

Original Pilot in Robert Tanners original FW 190. It was stored in a drawer for 20 years.

Cowling front view. Air dam can be seen

Cowlin Top view

Cowling left side view. Unit shield not attached yet.

Cowling right side. Unit shiel not attached yet.

Top of wing right side

Top of wing left side

Wing bottom right side

Wing bottom left side

Last edited by gonzalobures; 08-16-2021 at 05:49 AM.