RCU Forums - View Single Post - old timers look here must be 50+ years only
Old 08-26-2021, 01:35 PM
n0ukf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my modeling start over 50 years ago, Dad built himself a .15 powered CL, balsa & dope, on one of his business trips (flew it once and landed upside-down). He later bought us an orange plastic Cox .049 CL, we also had a Shrike .049 air car (circling on a tether). A while later we built a balsa CL biplane with another .049. We also flew a few Estes rockets and ran HO trains (4'x8' double loop setup with 2 tunnels).
After high school while in the Air Force I got started in RC with a used Lanier Comet (.60) which crashed on my first solo due in part to mechanical failure of flexible nylon hinges, I also got a Heliboy and tried hovering with no gyros (no crashes). After picking up the Comet pieces, I bought a Headmaster Sport 40 kit which remains in its box to this day (maybe I'll finally get a start on it before much longer). The Heliboy is suffering hangar rash, so needs a little work.
More recently I built a Flite Test Simple Cub from scratch but the plastic covered foamboard I used made it way too heavy for flight with the standard size power pack. I also have a couple drones (quadcopter), some little indoor (IR controlled) used helis I tried to get working, and an Eachine E160 which I slammed into the ground with the default control curves in the radio giving it negative lift. Curves are altered and parts replaced, waiting for a calm day.
A week ago I got what I believe is a Traxxas Nitro Rustler (only positive Traxxas identifier on it is the TRX 2.5 motor and the Traxxas Easy Start 2 system). Some of the parts on it are RPM, the radio is a Redcat DSM-2C, it has no body shell and was partially disassembled (motor mount is broken). Another (non-toy) car I got 2-3 decades ago is also unidentified and needs a radio. I plan to replace the stepped resistor speed controller with ESC and may even swap in a brushless motor & ESC.
BTW, do all cars (at least 1/10 in various brands) have the same pitch drive gears? I didn't check these 2 cars yet to see if one meshes with the other.

Last edited by n0ukf; 08-26-2021 at 01:42 PM.