RCU Forums - View Single Post - Old radios - 15+ years....
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2021, 01:31 PM
mundo330
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Schumacher777,
I also got back into the Hobby back in the late 90s with my son who saw a helicopter and airplane hanging in the garage and asked "Dad do these fly?"
I had not flown in a few years and did not plan on getting back to it until he was older if he had the interest? He was 3 years old at the time and boy did he have the interest. I sold a few old helicopters (now I wish I had not!) and purchased a Midwest Aerostar 60 with a Saito 80 to go with it. We built it and covered it together and he was so anxious to fly it. I did not know he was secretly using my computer (with my wife's supervision) to fly the Dave Brown simulator on my computer. It was raw old time graphics but great physics. Our first time out I showed him how to preflight the plane, and I took it up. Take off was even smother than my Aerostar 40s I remembered. I trimmed her out and got her flying straight and level and Pulled the trainer switch. He took control and flew a near perfect oval out in front of us at about 150 feet. Then he flew for 15 inutes without me ever taking back control.... I was dumbfounded. The second flight he wanted to take off. The field was grass and there was a big irrigation ditch at the end and a power line about 50' after that. I figured the Aerostar flew well enough if he got squirrelly I would have time to take control. He did a perfect take off. and after about a dozen high approaches I let him land her. He bounced a bit but got it down in one safe. the smile on his face was priceless! He went on to become the top trainer at our club at 11 years old. We had a line of students from 8 years old to retired waiting for Stephen. at 14 he took up helicopters with Matt Botos instructing him. He became one of the top heli pilots at our field. Now at 25 he is a pilot and tech. he is going for his CFII (certified flight instrument instructor) because he wants to teach as he did with RC.
"NO I AM NOT THE PROUD PAPA"