RCU Forums - View Single Post - Vintage Tamiya Porsche 956 and Associated RC12L brought back to life
Old 09-19-2021, 03:02 PM
krispy378

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by aesalazar
Ya, I am pretty sure it is all stock. Yep, I always thought it was weird that they did change the T brace to graphite as well. It does match the manual:

https://www.associatedelectrics.com/...anuals_setups/

As for the cells, IIRC back then 4 was a popular option of indoor carpet. Even with only 4 cells it still spins if you hammer the throttle off the line.

Manual ESC? You mean kind with a heat resistor and external heat sink? I remember they were pretty inefficient, no?
Yes, the waste heat wound ceramic resistor. Lol.... Anything other than full throttle and its the equivalent of heating your home with all the windows open, very inefficient. I choose to keep it all stock, original and period correct. Too many of these cars were unfortunately turned into a mess of composite splinters, grotesquely held together by what was left of the mangled steering linkage, the motor and battery wires, and the leftovers of the antenna wire wrapped into knot around the differential gear...haha! I have another Novak 410M5 esc i could put in there, but i really dont want to. Its a pretty nice example, with the mechanical esc and all. Different, actually quite different than anything modern, electronics and battery wise if you know what i mean. . . It really was way different back then. How about charging your batteries off of the Sears DieHard automotive battery? Even with just a set of aligator clips and a cable going direct to the battery pack, waiting for the pack to heat up? The hardcore guys, who were all older than me by alot, used to tell me to forget my acdc charger and go direct dc... I can only imagine the kids having a meltdown with that, let alone the risks with LiPOs! Hahaha Btw, keep up posting on your car, cant wait to see any developments Ernie..Take care, freddy