RCU Forums - View Single Post - OS FS .70 Crankshaft bearing fit
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2021, 03:51 AM
MrRover75

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default OS FS .70 Crankshaft bearing fit

Hi all,

A little question... Should the outer races of the crankshaft bearings on an 4 stroke OS engine have tight fits? I noticed that my engine had axial play in the crankshaft, approx 0,5mm. Thought that was to much for this engine so I decided to replace its bearings. Noticed during tear-down that the outer race of the front bearing was sliding in and out of the crankcase together with the play, which did not sounded right to me. Engine put apart and new bearings in. This engine had a bent crankshaft that was replaced many years ago after a severe crash, so I though that running the engine a tank with a bent crankshaft might had deformed the bearing fit for the front bearing. I added some permanent loctite to the outer race when installed the new front bearing for fixing this one in place. Rest went back in by the book and no play after assembly. Did two flights and engine ran nicely and smooth, but I noticed that the crankshaft felt warmer than it used to be after landing. So, have I actually done something wrong here by adding the loctite to fix the bearing? Should the outer bearing be able to float a bit axially to compensate for the movement in the materials due to heat build up? The play I noticed before replacement was actually internally in the old worn rear bearing? This is probably not a big deal, but details like this just takes my sleep.....

Last edited by MrRover75; 09-23-2021 at 03:53 AM.