RCU Forums - View Single Post - old timers look here must be 50+ years only
Old 09-30-2021, 08:42 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Dog ownership. Day 3.

The night before last I put Tiko into the cellar to sleep on an old army blanket. I left the cellar door open so that she could go outside in response to a call of nature. Yesterday morning I woke up, put a handful of dry dog food in her bowl, went down to the cellar but she wasn't there! I called her but she did not come. Imagining that she had been hit by a car in the night or that she had walked all the way back to her former home which is fifteen minutes away by car, I climbed into the van and drove round our usual dog walk routes, no sign of her.

I returned home to pick up her feed bowl determined to drive to her former home. What was I going to say to her previous owners if she'd been run over? I parked in the road outside my house when what should I see bounding up to see me across the front lawn but Ma Petite Louve, my Little Wolf as one woman had dubbed her!Name:  1f600.png
Views: 429
Size:  524 Bytes

Heaven knows where she had been but she had mud on her nose. Perhaps she had recognised the sound of the van. It has a five cylinder engine so its note is quite distinctive. Anyway, I took her for our longest walk and when we got home, she jumped into the van and stayed there all morning even though the van was stationary! I even left the van door open but she just slept on the front seat. I was worried that she was ill but she soon perked up when her previous owner, Frans, visited me!

She never leaves the garden but I have no gates at the front and the road outside is fairly busy. If she saw a cat on the other side of the road, she might try to chase it and get hit by a car. I'll have to price up the cost of a pair of gates!

I'm sure we'll get used to one another! My camera is still not working properly so I cannot put up any pictures of her.