RCU Forums - View Single Post - OS FS .70 Crankshaft bearing fit
View Single Post
Old 10-10-2021, 12:33 PM
Jesse Open

Received 91 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by 1QwkSport2.5r
Gary - my comment on using green locktite on the outer race is ONLY if the outer race spins when seated within the crankcases front housing. Parts are getting scarce for some engines, so going out to find a new crankcase to repair an old engine may not be as feasible for some. A little green locktite on the outer race of a LOOSE fitting (again, spins within its seated position in the crankcase) bearing may prolong the life of an otherwise limited lifespan engine. Maybe I’m overthinking it, but I wouldn’t run an engine with a loose bearing fit for risk of completely destroying the crankcase/front housing.

YMMV.
I had not criticized the use of Loctite. Especially to minimize bearing outer races spinning in bores. There is always a fine balance sought between desired axial movement and the undesireable spinning in the bore. The axial play generates no harmful heat, spinning in the bore generates destructive heat, among other problems.

One of the most laughable "fixes" is the screwballs who ***** punch bearing bores!