RCU Forums - View Single Post - MotionRC and Counterfeit Mechanics
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2021, 07:29 PM
drakster123

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default MotionRC and Counterfeit Mechanics

I've been flying RC helicopters since the early 1980's and finally decided to buy my first scale helicopter from MotionRC . I have never seen ANY helicopter kit that was this bad.

I bought the Roban combo from MotionRC in 2019 and life happend and the kit sat in a corner until a few months ago. The knockoff/counterfeit mechanics are criminal!

I know of three other people now that bought this Roban/Phoenixtech frame kit from MotionRC and out of the three builds two have crashed because of mechanical problems and the third guy had a near crash because of mechanical problems.

The snapped tail drive shaft photo is from the post mortem of the crash when the pilot lost the tail drive. The other mechanical closeup shots are from my build and show MANY of the problems this kludge of a kit has.

MotionRC simply has NO SHAME when it comes to selling a "Combo kit" and shipping out a kit with missing parts and a bunch of counterfeit mismatched non-functional crap. It's almost like somebody threw a bunch of leftover heli mechanical parts in the air and stuffed them in a box. Here are just a few of the problems you'll have if you make the mistake of buying from MotionRC:

Get your file and dremel tool out because the frame holes don't fit the parts. I got a kludge of mismatched parts for the narrow and wider 600 frame. I called the MotionRC helicopter support guy Ed Ardriano of Scaleflying and RC Aerodyne fame, and was told too bad you're past our 30 day return policy. So I then ended up buying another $200 worth of correct parts. I would have done a chargeback on my credit card but that clock ran out.

Then I called the MotionRC helicopter support tech again and was told I needed to buy a metal gear set since the provided plastic gears would strip within the first few seconds at the first runup. Spent another $200 and when I meshed the metal tail rotor bevel gears I discovered a very poorly machined set of bevel gears that are going to require some serious lapping. Also please note in the tail drive assembly that there isn't room for an upper bearing because the provided extended tail drive shaft is too big! i.e. NO VISIBLE MEANS OF SUPPORT FOR A LONG TAIL DRIVE SHAFT!

Just when you think it can't get any worse it does! The only thing holding the "floating" tail drive shaft in place is the lower bearing block. Another thing I've never encountered before are bearing blocks that are too large and won't hold the bearings in place. You literally have to GLUE the bearings in the bearing blocks. It's like a 2nd grader designed this mess with his crayon. This junk is so SAD it's almost funny.

I called the MotionRC heli tech guy a few more times and was told by the MotionRC heli tech guy that he had received permission from his boss to assemble the heli, lap the bevel gears and/or replace any other required parts, and to send him my transmitter, receiver, AXON controller and all the other servos, esc, motor, etc.
Also note that the conversation with the MotionRC tech went back and forth from "We are doing you a favor at no charge, to I don't work for nothing and I charge $1000." What was going on????

I only wanted the mechanics fixed so I asked myself why does he want all my stuff sent across to the other side of the country at MY EXPENSE? Hmmmm.... Was I fixing to be the victim of a hostage situation? So I said sure, but was thinking "NO WAY IN HELL", and I need to see your MotionRC bosses' blessing for this plan, in writing before I send you anything. Needless to say it's been almost a week now and all I'm hearing from his boss (Mike Jackson) and the MotionRC tech is crickets.

Watch the crash video and look at the pictures to gain a good appreciation at what crap MotionRC sends out! If you buy this or any other kludge knockoff counterfeit kit be prepared to do some manufacturing work and get ready to spend a lot of extra money on GENUINE ALIGN parts that work.

I've tried 5 times to post the pictures but the forum thinks the pictures are url's and won't let me post them... Sorry...

Last edited by drakster123; 10-11-2021 at 07:40 PM. Reason: add pictures