RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1/4.5 T-38C Talon scratch build
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2021, 11:10 AM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

Its been awhile, but my 1/4 Beech Starship repairs are more or less complete until i get some more flight time on it… so now its time to make some progress on the T38.

the first tasks were checking the fit or the paper test template for the airex cores and also refining the size of the plastic template that will be used for the carbon fiber skin layers.

Once the paper template were proven to fit, i cut out the airex cores on the laser cutter. I am putting alot of extra CAD time to do things like these laser cut core and fabric layers for future production… if that will be me or some other entity has yet to be decided. Lol

Using the plastic template earlier, the spread tow fabric layers were arranged and outlined in 1/4” masking tape. The CF layers are arranged on the bias to the wingspan to increase torsionally rigidity since the substantial internal structure should more than suffice for the bending loads.

Here are the CF layers after bein cut out. I cut down the center of the masking tape as this allows a very narrow edge of tape to ensure the fabric weave doesn’t get distorted or begin to fray.