RCU Forums - View Single Post - Zippkits SLR Missle Thunderboat
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2021, 02:50 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Trust me, building the boats isn't really that hard. Just take your time, follow the directions and have a few hand tools ready. I built my first boat(a 30" Dumas Pay'N Pak kit) in a barracks at a Navy training base back in 1982 using only a small set of Exacto knives, four small "C" clamps and a wood block wrapped with sand paper for tools. I learned several things building that and several more recent boats:
  • Use a quality epoxy. The hobby shop types won't cut it as they don't have the strength to hold plywood bent around compound curves
  • Superglue is only good for tacking parts together, not structural joints
  • Have/use plenty of clamps and tape to hold the parts together while waiting for the epoxy to fully cure. Regardless of what the epoxy container says, plan on leaving the parts clamped/taped for no less than 24 hours. The time listed on the package is not a full cure time, it's a hardening time. I use West Systems Epoxy products and it takes, depending on the conditions it's used in, no less than 24 hours to cure.
  • If the boat kit directions calls for a jig to build it, use one. It will help keep the framework square and that will make your boat a better runner when done.
Something else you could do is go through this thread:
Re-Engineering A Dumas Pay'N Pak - RCU Forums (rcuniverse.com)
It goes through many of the things you will need to do to build your kit. It also goes over things you would need to think about when it comes to setting up the hull and installing the systems that will go into it.

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 10-31-2021 at 05:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
AMXer (12-19-2021)