RCU Forums - View Single Post - What's a good make and model for this tasking ?
Old 11-07-2021, 10:04 AM
CrunchyFrog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What's a good make and model for this tasking ?

For the not-yet-an-enthusiast drone operator--

What's a good budget make and model (I'm more likely to shop Amazon than a hobby store )--

recurrently to both drop and recover a 12-ounce payload at a distance of 200-300 feet ?

The idea is, I'm watching from my window, not wanting to have to manually walk a hand-sized box out every time nor have to walk back to recover it from a specific community-use spot. Also a drone can access the spot where I'd like to park the payload above head height, where the delivery's harder to steal.

I'll need a camera and need to light up what's underneath for low-light and dark situations.

Here's the back story:
----------------------------
I have a little fist-sized ultrasonic dog-influencer box.

When it detects a dog's bark, it sends a little ultrasonic chirp the dog doesn't enjoy--dogs will still bark at an intruder, but the box breaks them of that "boredom bark." I've used it with success on next door--dog decided to stop barking right under our window where he'd sounded like he was in our laps.

Current problem is a different dog: A different neighbor has two behemoths--Shetland-pony-sized, he built them a livestock fence--with a great big thunderbark I hear loud thru closed windows while I'm working from home. I can't wear noise blockers thru my videoconferences when I have to hear my teammates. The dogs love to hear their own big bark, will just lie on their bellies barking, all afternoon and evening long.

So why don't I just repeat what I did with Dog One ?

The "Shetlands" are not as easy: These dogs are 400 feet distant--and the hushpuppy-box's suggested effective range is only 300 feet.

But there's community-use land (subdivision playground) midway between us. Ah !

I'm having visions of drone-deploying the little palm-sized box from my home-office window to a specific spot many nights while I train the two banthas not to be so barky-barky.

I've actually walked the box out there some nights after the kids have gone home, testing how effectively I can key the pulse from my window (box has a mode where you can hear an audio pulse).

Whenever I've deployed it, though, I've also walked back before sunrise to recover the weatherproof $130 box so someone wouldn't walk off with it. That's one reason I'd like to place it by drone--up out-of-reach: Currently I only place it after dark--so nobody at that public site has learned it's even there, just because nobody's seen it in daylight. But if I get a drone, I might be able to place it out-of-unaided-reach so I can leave it a week or two at a time, using the drone to recall the box for battery charge.

Last edited by CrunchyFrog; 11-08-2021 at 09:39 AM.