RCU Forums - View Single Post - New Next Gen ELMod Boards Coming Out
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2021, 10:55 PM
Rad_Schuhart

Received 55 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Imex-Erik
Guys, you forget you can easily Y-cable ANY board that has PWM input like that. Just Y off the cable for the ESC and run that direct to the ESC and board. You will lose a few things like inertia and momentum (if that board supports it) however you can always add expo to mimic inertia a bit. This saves on the board design and considering not many use external ESCs (just us regular guys) it isn't much for us to add one. On the manufacturer's side I can see why this was omitted as it isn't that hard to recreate on the user's side and cuts down on support for that feature. Any time a customer introduces an unknown variable to the mix it gets difficult for support to diagnose and fix.
I think its not bad actually, hopefully I get to try one!
In this case is not that easy. Elmod boards do have inertia, but also have some gear change simulation system, it really feels like a heavy vehicle. It means it takes time to start moving and to brake (up to one meter even whith the brakes set to full power!), but also when driving fowards it changes the gear up to three times and you can feel it like when driving a manual car: it decelerates (like when you press the clutch), makes the gear change sound and then accelerates again. That would be a hell to 99,9% of users to program with the radio and I don't think you could match it with the motor sounds that the board makes. Not counting most users at least in the US seems to still use 4ch non programmable craptaba radios.

Anyway I have some love/hate with that function, it is super cool, you drive your tank in very a realistic way so you will never see king tigers jackrabitting like they do in Danvile battles, but at the other hand sometimes I need to disable that function and that is not possible. That annoys me like hell and causes many crashes, specially when my children drive or when we go to a meeting with several vehicles around.

But I do understand the lack of external ESCs, because almost nobody uses it, but removing lights is not acceptable for me. I expected to have even more, so no point in having now half of them And then the price, my godness...