RCU Forums - View Single Post - CARF-Models new Tank Fittings
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2021, 08:15 AM
Len Todd

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts

The glue holding in the baffle in my Ultra Flash's OEM tank failed and a piece of it plugged the clunk. That made for a really harry surprise for a relatively new, at the time, jet pilot! Fortunately, the UF saved itself and came out of the spiral, flew straight at me about 15' above the ground to live another day. I hit the gear and flaps and landed it. I had a "Free Jet' after that experience. Took a while to find the culprit though.

But, ... that was only the second of 15 times I had serious issues with that plane. I also had 14 snaps from which I recovered from before the elevator hinge failed on its second stab. (On the first failed stab, I caught the failed hinge on the ground.) This year, I lost the plane due to a failed elevator hinge. But, ... the UF sure gave me a lot of "emergency recovery experience!" It was a fun plane to fly, even with the extra thrills and chills! However, it did not even last for 19hrs on the turbine, even though I had replaced the stab for the same issue once before.

We'll, maybe see how the new tanks holdup. I recently ordered a Rebel Classic. Hope it comes with the new tank arrangement.