RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1/6 F-105 Build Thread
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2021, 04:00 PM
Viper1GJ
My Feedback: (20)

Received 330 Likes on 217 Posts

Vertical fin assembly test

The next step is attaching the vertical fin. I wanted to try out my planned alignment method before committing to drilling and epoxy. First, I mounted a laser level on the tripod behind jet.

After getting everything set up and adjusted, the laser projects two perpendicular lines that can be used to level the wings and fit the vertical fin perpendicular to the wings. I turned the jet 90 left on the table so I would have some back up distance behind the tail to see if the TLAR method matches the laser.

The wings are leveled using the horizontal line. You can see the green line on the wing tips if you look close.

With wings level the vertical fin can be aligned with the green line and clamped in place. I turned off the shop lights to make the green lines move visible, but this was mid day and the sun was washing out the green lines. Once the fin is clamped in the two attachment bolt holes can be drilled in the proper location to keep the fin perpendicular to the wings. With a couple of adjustments I think this method will work ok.

Last edited by Viper1GJ; 12-02-2021 at 04:03 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Viper1GJ:
grbaker (12-08-2021), jcterrettaz (12-04-2021), Mark Basel (12-03-2021), uncleTom (12-02-2021)