RCU Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya 1/16 Centurion "post build" review.
Old 02-02-2022, 10:58 AM
Fsttanks

Received 251 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by afv aficionado
Hi Fsttanks
Re the skirts, the real advantage they confer is camouflage. They make the vehicle harder to spot at range, by removing the deep shadow cast by the fenders & suspension. Protection from shaped charge projectiles is shorter ranged. And they help reduce dust, when on the move.
Guess that's what is known as a lucky break?

Mal
Yes I am aware the many advantages of skirts on real tanks. I just like the overall look of tanks from WW2 and Cold War era without them especially on RC tanks. The skirts tend to cover up to much of the “visual” interaction seen going on between the suspension, road wheels, tracks, sprockets, dirt, dust and mud. I enjoy watching this interaction, because without it RC tanks can look a bit boring while driving. I suspect others like this too as I see the majority of people gravitating to older tanks vs the modern tanks with skirts. Modern tanks just look “a bit boring” (?) a phrase I have heard countless times at battle day and demonstration events.

If a person likes skirts by all means include them on your tank. If not don’t include them. Either way is correct. The nice part is Tamiya made it easy on the Centurion to switch back and forth,

Last edited by Fsttanks; 02-02-2022 at 12:52 PM.