RCU Forums - View Single Post - Tamiya 1/16 Centurion "post build" review.
Old 02-05-2022, 08:06 PM
Fsttanks

Received 251 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by cleong
Thanks for the review, I really like how it looks without the skirts. The skirts on the Tamiya Pershing don't really stand up to sustained RC use because debris will cause the tiny screwheads to pull through the plastic fenders. In any case I think the Centurion looks tougher without skirts and I know exactly what you mean when you like to see suspension movement on the tank - its what got me into RC tanking as well!

In any case, the high ground clearance is probably the reason why the tank is prone to rolling - dimensionally its quite similar to Tamiya's modern MBTs, but those don't tip over easily. Also, it looks like the Horstmann suspension doesn't give it a whole lot of suspension travel compared to conventional torsion bar suspension, is that true?

Given where the idler wheels are mounted, they are quite exposed to impacts in addition to bearing the track's weight - is there any warping of the hull?
The suspension mechanics coupled with the narrower hull lend to the causes of rolling over. Just one of those things the driver has to be aware of and watch their choice of terrain to drive over.

The idler wheel is exposed but the idler arm and idler mount are metal and rather stout. There is no hull warping as the hull is quite well supported. The tracks are also extremely light so they have minimal effect on the idler system. Now when and if metal tracks are developed then there might be some stress issues to overcome.

I just posted some photos of the Centurion eating and kicking up dirt along with some battle day photos from the LA Tank Clubs February 2022 event on my Instagram @ fsttanks.

LA Tank Club February 2022 IR battle day.

Last edited by Fsttanks; 02-05-2022 at 08:27 PM.
The following 7 users liked this post by Fsttanks:
Buckeye36 (05-29-2022), cleong (02-06-2022), Conan_the_Hungarian (02-10-2022), jarndice (02-06-2022), ksoc (02-05-2022), Panther F (02-06-2022), tankme (02-05-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)