RCU Forums - View Single Post - Dragon, Spyker, FOA, Nicky 1/6 scale M4A1 76mm
Old 04-15-2022, 05:09 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

That's very similar to the system that I have in my hetzer, the one that shoots the .50 caliber paintballs, though I would probably never be able to draw a good-looking schematic like that. I'm also using a 6S lipo and a sabertooth ESC, but I went a slightly different route for the functions. First, my Sabertooth is the 2x32 and my fuses are a little bit tougher at 15 amps but almost everything else is controlled buy an ibu2 Pro, the green board early version. That takes care of sound, and with the TPA amp it pushes two 4 inch 4 ohm speakers just fine and sounds great. With the paintball gun in there I'm using two heavy-duty servos on pots for elevation and Traverse and I'm also using the FlySky 10 Channel receiver. I use the channel on the IBU that should be used for main gun elevation to rotate the remote mg34 on top, and the servo circuit that would be used for Barrel recoil is now used to pull the trigger on the paintball gun. My tank does not have that fine Barrel recoil like this Sherman does, but I had to make some sacrifices to install the paintball gun. The sound effect for the main gun and the mg34 comes from the IBU and that also provides the LED flash for the mg34. It even powers the smoker, and believe it or not, that's a stock $10 HL smoker and it works just fine. Since I have so much room in there I'm actually running a separate 2s lipo to power the IBU, and then there's a small 3s lipo to power the fpv system, but with all that room in there having multiple batteries is not a problem. One of these days I'm going to install step downs so that I can run everything from one 6s lipo. There are tons of different types of Step Downs on the market and they're very cheap, like a couple bucks apiece, and they come in a lot of different varieties. I have several laying around here, one will reduce anything up to 40 volts down to either 5 or 9 V, the user chooses which, and then I have step-downs that can be dialed to any voltage that you want with a maximum input of 40 volts. I just take my voltmeter and a little screwdriver and dial the voltage to the level that I want before I install the board inside the tank. Oh yeah, the 10 channel receiver is powered by the five volt bec in the saber-tooth. I also have a 1/6 scale M5 Stuart on the shelf and for that I'm going to go with 3S lipo and run everything from an IBU2 Pro. It should be very much like installing the IBU in a 1/16th scale tank, I'll just have a lot more room. If that project turns out even half as good as this Sherman I'll be well pleased. I'm very impressed with this tank, and I'm very, very happy to see others using 6s lipos to power 1/6 scale tanks.

I'm also curious about that recoil board, is that the board they use on the airsoft Barrel recoil tanks? Again, great job on this Sherman and I hope this will not be your last 1/6 scale project.