RCU Forums - View Single Post - My Best Beginner RC Plane Advice
View Single Post
Old 05-22-2022, 05:35 PM
GBLynden

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
The one thing that stood out to me was the topic of coordinating turns with rudder. While I don’t disagree with that statement, not setting aileron differential up on the airplane makes that issue worse. In many cases the differential takes care of the adverse yaw that makes the turns look un coordinated. Having an airplane nose down sharply after establishing a bank angle could be a CG too far forward. Of course these things need to be evaluated on a case by case basis. The general comment about warbirds having a roll couple may or may not effect every warbird. A P-51 with scale dihedral does in fact have a roll couple with rudder application. Reduce the dihedral and set up a small amount of rudder to aileron mix and it can be all but eliminated.
Thank you for that explanation. What I have found is that most new pilots completely ignore the rudder, so that information was to get the new pilot to build that muscle memory from the start. If most beginners rarely use the rudder, talking about mixes out of the gate is pointless, but adding it to the conversation is welcomed.

I am not sure which P-51's you have flown, but all of mine (6) have needed at least some right rudder input on take-off to offset the torque from P-factor for arrow straight take-offs. My other warbirds have generally been even worse. Regardless, making new folks aware of the potential need to right rudder input is harmless.

Originally Posted by jester_s1
Agreed on aileron differential. Having more up than down can make the plane neutral or even have proverse yaw, making the trainer a lot easier to fly for beginner pilots. For the life of me, I can't understand why someone would intentionally fly a plane that has such an annoying quirk when it is so easy to fix.
I have never had that issue on the nearly 100 planes I have flown over the years. Are you seeing that on retail kits like I show above or planes you made yourself?

Originally Posted by Tphage
I am one of those people who due to present life circumstances cannot attend a club. By the time I am free enough to attend a club, I may be too old to fly besides who knows what awaits any of us right around the corner. If I am going to take up this hobby, after years of procrastination, I need to make it happen now.

Although I have some control line modelling background, reasonable electronics knowledge and a fair understanding of aerodynamics, I have still found the learning curve over the last month to be almost vertical. This has been primarily due to two things : 1) Buying a BNF Apprentice STS 1.5, instead of the RTF version and 2 ) having my head start spinning when I turned on my radio Tx for the first time, scrolling through the screens and wondering how the heck I am going to put those two things together to get a working model. To experienced rc-ers, terms like expo, absolute travel, trim, sub-trim, channel assign, channel input configuration, etc. etc. as well as wondering about setting up things like failsafes and telemetry, may be simple, but to me they were almost overwhelming.

A major part of the confusion at the time was not realising that many of these things were not even necessary to program but the issue was not knowing what items needed attention and what could be left alone.

In hindsight, as a beginner who was always going to have to be self-taught, it would have been best to buy the RTF version, but on the other hand, I have learned an encyclopedia or two over the last month !

I thank everyone for their contributions to help us beginners get a start in what is increasingly looking like an amazing hobby.
Folks like you my friend are exactly why I made this thread and have been building out info like this on my website, though both have been slowed down a lot by the birth of my new baby girl. You highlight some of by thinking as I replied to the folks above regarding differential mixes and such. Sometimes people are too experienced to remember how difficult it is to get started with the basics in this hobby and just end of confusing folks.

Feel free to ask any additional questions in this thread, that is what is designed for

GB