RCU Forums - View Single Post - My Best Beginner RC Plane Advice
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2022, 07:04 PM
Tphage

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Folks like you my friend are exactly why I made this thread and have been building out info like this on my website, though both have been slowed down a lot by the birth of my new baby girl. You highlight some of by thinking as I replied to the folks above regarding differential mixes and such. Sometimes people are too experienced to remember how difficult it is to get started with the basics in this hobby and just end of confusing folks.

Feel free to ask any additional questions in this thread, that is what is designed for

GB[/QUOTE]

Thanks GB ! ( And congratulations on the baby ! )

My first ever ( radio control ) flight is approaching. I have the plane and Tx programming pretty much sorted now and am just polishing up my ( computer... ) flying skills with RF 7.5 ( using the Nexstar ( electric powered ) trainer ).

Can I ask if you think this plan is about right for my first flight ( Apprentice STS 1.5 ) ?

1) Attach wing, etc. at field and check all controls move as intended.

2) Range test Tx.

3) Face model into wind.

4) Launch and try to fly a defined pattern ( probably rectangular circuits at maybe 50 m / 150 feet altitude ( high enough for 1 mistake ).

5) On long part of circuit, trim model.

6 ) Land after maybe 5 minutes and check battery state of charge ( have field cell checker ). Note for future flight duration.

7) Note control surface positions with Tx sticks at neutral. One control surface at a time, reset Tx trim back to zero and then adjust clevises to return control surface back to original noted position.

Is there anything amiss with any of this or anything I have left out ?

And one thing I have not decided on is whether to use Beginner Safe mode or just turn it off. Have heard conflicting accounts of whether it actually makes it easier or harder for the beginner whose on his own. I don't believe I am going to be prone to over-controlling due to control line experience and RF training.

Last edited by Tphage; 05-27-2022 at 07:08 PM.