RCU Forums - View Single Post - How many hours to proficciency?
View Single Post
Old 06-04-2022, 09:20 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I always set up 1, 2 and 3 channel planes so that the rudder is on the right stick. It’s much easier for beginners to learn that the right stick generally controls the airplane in normal flight.

It’s a case of less is more. The objective is to get the student to solo, so one less control seems simpler. Bring the ailerons into the program on the second plane. In the meantime the student can learn quite a lot with only 3 channels and have a great time doing so. And much sooner than he would with a 4 channel plane.

There was a time when most flew with only one channel and had fun doing so while learning a lot about trimming an airplane.

I still believe the fastest way to solo is by keeping things as simple as possible. Nothing fires up enthusiasm faster than being able to fly it yourself without the instructor.

By the way, I have NEVER had a student encounter problems transitioning from 3 channels of control to 4 channels. In fact I’ve noticed that many modelers that learn on 4 channel airplanes don’t have a clue about the usefulness and power of the rudder. Learn to fly with the rudder or suffer the consequences!

One of the maneuvers I like to see is hovering into the wind on the very edge of a stall while maintaining heading into the wind. The student will soon learn how ineffective the ailerons are, and the usefulness of the rudder. Comes in handy on a low altitude, low airspeed “go around”.

Last edited by 049flyer; 06-04-2022 at 09:35 PM.