RCU Forums - View Single Post - The Invitational TOC-2
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2022, 06:30 PM
Don Szczur
My Feedback: (1)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

To quote Mr. Walt Schroder from 1974 in response to the first TOC, “the experiment worked”. My hat is off to Mr. Frank Noll, Gil Major and all the contest and club volunteers who conducted a contest called the Invitational, TOC-2. The experiment that is, was to bring F3A pattern flyers, IMAC, F3P precision aerobatic pilots and 3D pilots together in the same competition to determine the overall best rounded aerobatics pilot among foreign and US based invitational pilots. The known and unknowns (30% and 50% of overall score) sequences contained many standard FAI type maneuvers such as rolling loops, rolling vertical 8’s and knife edge square loops on the corner. The sequences also contained many IMAC based maneuvers. Finally, freestyle was required by all pilots and counted 20% toward the score.

My congratulations to the finalists which included the top 3: 1st Sasha Cecconi- Italy, 2nd, Antonio de Souza – Brazil, 3rd Joseph Szczur (USA). Other well-known patter flyers who flew included Chris Gini and Aaron Garle, (Australia)- loved the Men at Work song from the Down Under! I'll get into more detail on each pilot and some of the exciting details as I have time.

My personal story related to this event is that I got a call from Frank on Memorial Day (three days before the event) requesting me to bring the old TOC plane out of the basement and show it as a demo to those attending. I got down to Fredericksburg late Wednesday evening and put it together and got a quick test flight. While I was pulling my plane back to the shelter after this brief test flight (first flight I can remember since the 2019 TOC reunion in Clover Creek), Frank Noll came over the speaker and asked for a pilot vote all in favor for me to fly in the event as a competitor. Everyone voted yes, so I pulled the plane back over, fueled up and got one practice flight in. I ended up 9th and made Frank Noll’s weekend! It was a blast and I’m so glad that I competed in the event. Stay tuned for next competitions- for the pattern flyers out there- take note it’s a great competition!

Here is a picture of the finalists.