RCU Forums - View Single Post - Our hobby really needs a new Tank Control Board
Old 06-21-2022, 12:48 PM
sollie

Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by RichJohnson
Well what we see here in the US is IBU2 Ultimate and Clark and now DKTank. Elmod is here but rarely seen.

IBU2 ultimate still has its inertia issue making it useless or very difficult to battle.

DKTank is in its infancy with about 30 boards out there now and I have 5 and love them so far. But they have supply problems.

Bier and Elmod are cool but just too much tech and too costly for most of us.

And then there is Clark. I’m now going to step into it here….. Clark is doing more to kill my hobby than anyone.
most of my club in San Diego area is using HL and Clark, A lot of Clark. From 40s to 80s some channelized and some Sbus.
Nearly all of their Clark tanks are dead now. There is a theme of several common malfunctions from tank won’t go one direction any more to it takes one hit and flat dies to it takes one hit and goes invulnerable and some other quirks as well as burning up too. I have members that have spent big money on metal hull Abrams and leopards and such and other expensive taigens and then their boards fail. One very astute RC person had 3 Clark tanks fail at our last battle all for different reasons . He’s about to give up the hobby now because he already has 2 80s sent in for repair.
I know what your thinking this must be operator error but I have looked at these tanks and even helped set up a few of them. There is no operator error involved in most of them, save the ones that were stalling out from retaining the HL speaker which overloads the audio amp and then shuts the board down and that was corrected.
So we held our battle with a handful of members that could not come because their tank boards had already failed and they don’t have operational tanks yet, and then we had the guy who lost 3 in one day.

Im at the point I am now telling people just use the HL system and stick with it, it likely won’t fail. And don’t by Clark boards. I have two myself, an old 24 in my Stewart and a 40 in my m32 which has not had much use but I’m kinda expecting it to develop problems when I do.

it’s not a matter of being cheap, most of my club is willing to shell out 200 bucks for a board. Let’s face it RC tanks used to be even more expensive but they still ain’t cheap. The problem is like you guys said the engineers aren’t listeninng to their customers. IBU refuses to fix his code and get rid of the inertia, which I know personally caused 5 club members to return their boards as intolerable driving conditions. And it lost him customers. His problem I guess. You guys complain about bier not tweeting to be better for users. And Clark, who knows what his problem is but I have heard that Solie the dealer complained to Clark about his failures so much Clark shut him down and he switched over to IBU….LOL.

I was happy with the old IBU2 base. It did everything I wanted. Then they had to go an “improve it”. Now I found the DKT tank and I have high hopes for him being able to flood the market. I got some nice comments on how my m51 sounded at our last battle (DKTank). I also noticed how much better it drives over my old IBU2 EZ8. Feels like it has a more powerful ESC or something.

That would be Stanlley , not me ( Stian) :-) I still do a little clark boards , and make new soundsets now and then