RCU Forums - View Single Post - Electronic solutions to modifying glow engines of all sizes to gasoline
Old 09-25-2022, 06:04 AM
Cat 1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cmulder
Are there any "full size" equivalents where the fuel tank is pressurised?
As far as i know. most use a fuel pump .
So why not focus on finding a small fuel pump instead and avoid all the plumbing and risk of leaks that come with a pressurised tank system?
Many fuel setups in aviation are "pressurized" but never for engine supply directly - They usually use forward airspeed to generate some sort of head pressure on the tanks just to make sure fuel "moves" properly and in some cases (with bladder style tanks) it prevents collapse of the tanks. Cant remember the set pressure (1.5 to 2 psi I think) but the popular "king air" aircraft I have worked on, have a intricate little vent system that has a couple of "heated" tank vents that are angled into airflow and on the bottom of the wing .

Most RC tanks get pressurized but its only .5 psi - Some (YS engines) get pressurized much more. A small fuel pump would be doable (RC turbine) but I think control of pressure/flow would be an issue. It works in the turbine as its the "driver" and everthing else happens because of the amount of fuel applied - with an IC engine - it must follow a number of other drivers.