RCU Forums - View Single Post - The joys of building while single
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2022, 12:36 PM
SOPHIAFLYGIRL

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by DGrant
I absolutely remember Jack Thomas, and his brother Bob,and Mid-Cal Hobbies was the shop on Larkin Ave in Clovis. They were both real nice guys. Sorry to say they're both gone now. Bob passed probably 20 or more years ago, and we lost Jack just a few years back if that. Jack had moved over to Nevada in his late years,but still was active and kept memberships in local clubs from what I remember. He got involved in the racing circuit and was part of the "Madera Air Races" when that was popular. He also apparently went into the balsa biz for many years after closing his shop. I'd see him on occasion at local fields, but he had his own runway/property east of Clovis that he used. Yeah I knew them pretty well, and would hang out in that shop, sitting at the table in the back and drink coffee or whatever. Jack was somewhat of a legend, in that he was flying giants long before they were mainstream, and he lead many of us into larger planes, just by association.. haha.

You struck a memory as well with the mechanic lady, and yeah I remember her too. She actually bought a few planes from me back in the day, but I hadn't seen nor thought about anyone except Jack for probably 25-30yrs(yeah it's been that long), and we/I was young as well... haha.. alot of energy and alot of flying back then. I still fly at least twice a week at the FRM(Fresno club) site, and the newer club ClovisRC out near Reedley.. and occasionally on the west side of the valley. So yeah, we're still flyin it up out here in Cali.
Wow...what a small world! There was also an "older" gentleman who used to hang out at Mid Cal Hobbies, he was an electrician. One day he cut 1/2 of his thumb off trying to stop the prop on a P51 mustang that was screaming at near full throttle. I remember him coming in after he was all bandaged up. His son was a wire-haired blonde kid who used to fly out there also.
lots of fond memories. I flew with a couple guys from Mid Cal. One was an airline pilot, Asian man, very mellow demeanor.