RCU Forums - View Single Post - Welcome to Club SAITO !
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2022, 02:56 PM
the Wasp
My Feedback: (1)

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

I mounted my new cam to the 91's cam housing. it only took me about 3 hours.... 3 hours you say. LOL yes 3 hours.

the first time I mounted the cam to its housing there was a noticeable amount of back & forth lash in the cam. I was thinking that can't be very good for the tappets.
so I had the thought "hey, I have the 100GK shims. let's check them".
so I could see that the 100GK shims are slightly thicker than the 91 shims. so I tried to put the cam back in the housing and use 1 of the GK washers,,,, no go. the cam wouldn't fit in.
hey, I have a brand-new fine-tooth file. so how do you file the thickness down on a rather small washer? very carefully!
so I file down the thicker washer. check the thickness to make sure the washer is flat. Shazam, surprise surpise its flat. so I mount the cam again. but it was kind of tight. I could not feel any lash. yet it turned good and smooth. if I spun the cam it only turned over about 3 times. so I thought "no lash no oil for the shims"
so I removed the cam again and filed on the washer again. check it. its flat. so I mounted the cam again. this time I could feel and see a bit of back lash and it turned even smoother. I must have taken up 1/2 the back lash.
I was able to measure the backlash. it's right at 0.010"~~~~~~~~~ "how did I do that?"
later tonight I will mount the cam housing to the case.

and tomorrow I will mount the cylinder. thanks to our good friend Lonnie!!

EDIT; cam hosing now mounted to the case.

Jim

Last edited by the Wasp; 11-09-2022 at 06:42 PM.