RCU Forums - View Single Post - Safety Metrics & AC91-57C
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2022, 05:39 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First, I'll address Speedy's criticim of some things he said that I said. I was in contact with folks I know in FAA when the whole testing thing was in draft. My friends were pushing hard for the sectional reading etc., but it did not make it into the final version. That happens. But that can always change in the future. And yes, I was wrong about AMA being able to administer TRUST.

But I was right about increasing regulation, right about the AMA financial trajectory, right about move away from requiring CBO membership and - as we see above - right about eventual need to have metrics in support of legitimate Safety Management System (SMS). All of which I'd argue are just a touch more important.

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
For those not familiar with how AMA clubs function, most put out a monthly newsletter typically online for a couple decades now. Within this newsletter is usually reports for various club officers including the safety officer. If there had been an injury or close call within the previous month it would have been reported in the news letter. I will use the SCCMAS club as an example. There was an incident where a club member had his hand mangled by a prop. The incident was brought to light in the next news letter with tips for preventing such an occurrence. I myself had a lockout which resulted in a 40% Extra gliding over interstate 101 and impacting on a hill beyond the freeway. That too was mentioned in the newsletter. If one were to scour clubs archives of news letters you would find other examples. Then of course there are those incidents that result in a claim filed with the AMA’s insurance carrier such as the fire that was started in an adjacent field to the Sacramento Area Modelers. So in reality there have been incident reports being made. Maybe not to the level that some think they should. That could very well be the “‘ we’re pretty smart “ comment, as to a certain degree what Franklin was suggesting was already being done.
Originally Posted by ECHO24
It's not just reporting it to the FAA, it's a formal program using those metrics within an organization in a standardized format and updated as necessary, not something buried in a newsletter few people will ever read.
Echo you're correct. AMA has said they have an SMS, but I submit what they have exists in name only. A true SMS would have some level of standardized data collection, lessons learned collection, and regular sharing of those events and KPIs across the entire organization. You don't see AMA talk about common factors in recent near misses, injuries, etc. like those described above. Even issues with compliance among certain communities isn't shared widely, limiting CD's ability to watch for similar behaviors in other communities. That's how true SMS function, info sharing, common factors, responding to KPIs, and continuous improvement. When regulators come look at a system like AMA's, this is what you see in their audit report: "fragmented SMS" or one that "lacks integration" or one that "ineffectively uses KPIs and audits to evaluate and improve SMS effectiveness."