RCU Forums - View Single Post - BUSA or DB SE5a kit?
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2022, 01:50 PM
Swedish_Pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by khodges
You might get the D.B Sport kit faster, it comes from the U.K.. I have no first-hand experience with them, but their S.E.5a looks pretty nice from the pictures on their website and the description says much of it is laser cut and the rigging is accurate and included. I've built two BUSA kits, working on a third (25% Piper L-4) and have a 4th one (25% SPAD XIII) after I finish my present build. There is quite a bit of laser cut parts, mostly formers to make keeping the airframe very square and scale parts, but most is a box of sticks and you build over the plans, which are comprehensive and well-done. The BUSA kits lend themselves very well to super-scale detailing and they fly exceptionally well. They do have variations from true scale sometimes, such as a wider-stance landing gear to make ground handling easier, but things like that can be changed to more scale if you have proper data. One of my flying buddies had the Fokker DR-1 and D-VII, Sopwith Pup and Nieuport 11 all in 1/4 scale, and they were fantastic models. BUSA has good Customer Service, too.
I've always liked the SE-5a and I have a kit for one, a 1/5 scale from Fun Aero, which is no longer in business. I hope to build it in the not-to-distant future, maybe even before the SPAD. Good luck with your decision and the build.
Thank you for your comment!
It looks like I could ge hold of a DB kit easier, so let's hope that the DB design builds and flies as great as the BUSA version!
/S_P