RCU Forums - View Single Post - need iformation on old diesels
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2022, 12:30 AM
Coxfledgling

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Diesel

Hurrrrrah !

Signs of life with this engine at long last as it "popped", just the once but it popped !

Had you just unscrewed the compression screw one turn and it popped, you would have probably heard a "crack" sort of noise as the contra piston moved due to the engine popping with the contra piston rising and contacting the compression screw, thus limiting the amount of contra piston rise.

Sounds as if the contra piston has moved up, probably toooo much. I doubt if the contra piston has "popped out" but check just in case. Just remove the cylinder head to check.

So, next attempt, carefully screw the compression screw back in until it makes contact with the contra piston. Screw in compression screw quarter of a turn. Did it push the contra piston down any ?

I hope the thread in the cylinder head is in good condition and does not "shear"...

Try and start the engine again increasing compression a quarter of a turn at a time.

Do not over compress.

With some luck I expect the engine to burst into life.....on primes only for now.....feedback.