RCU Forums - View Single Post - 46FX piston/liner
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2022, 01:59 AM
1967brutus

Received 76 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by J330
Curious, once you suffer the OS nickel failure, why you'd ever go back to another OS engine? AX has the same problem. How many short lived engines does it take to abandon a poorly made engine simply because it's easier to tune? The OS Surpass engines are heavy bricks compared to a Saito, the OS nickel junk lasts 1/3 the life of a quality German/Japan made engine. Only people my fathers age would agree these days. Most never owned an Enya, Webra, Rossi, or Super Tigre in their life.
The chance of finding an ASP piston/liner for a decent price, you could just get a lifetime runner like Enya, Webra, Rossi, or Super Tigre. They tune well for me, they're just different. I've seen locals suffer the same demise with the AX .46 and the AX .65 with peeled liners, and with fewer fuel choices these days it doesn't give an active flier room to experiment between castor and synthetic fuel. If search worked on this site, I'm I could find some history on this topic.

Some believe it's a repetitious lean run engine (abuse), or a poor choice in fuel, but the nature of a 2 stroke glow engine is bound to run lean at times, sooner or later. Your engine shouldn't self destruct because of a few lean runs, I always thought ABC was more forgiving than ringed engines if you had a lean run? Just one of those things that make you wonder...
I can asure you it is both cheaper and easier to find an ASP donor engine, compared to the Enya's Rossi's, Webra's or SuperTigres, because those owners usually do not want to part with them...

And every once in a while, those piston/liner sets also turn up new. That's how I got 2 of them a while back. New and unused. But if you can find an ASP 46, chances are you can pick it up for 10 to 20 bucks with a piston and liner in good condition.