RCU Forums - View Single Post - Let's try to build a home made Kevlar fuel tank!
Old 02-07-2023, 06:31 AM
sandrocacciola

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello, lt's Go on.
The pieces printed with the 3D printer, however precise and of quality they are, have small jaggies which, if not corrected, would leave fingerprints on the printed piece. So I sanded the interior first with 120 sandpaper, then 200 and finally 360. I then gave a nice coat of catalyzed spray filler and then a varnish with 2K acrylic paint. The result was mirror surfaces!
Those who are somewhat familiar with composite molds know that every new mold must be treated with a release agent before molding. So you need to get a release wax for molds (you can find it in all online shops of modeling or composite processing items (I use Sorvolando Compositi "sorvolandocompositi.it" cost about 25 euros for a 400/500 gram jar which will lasts a lifetime and, which creates added value, a person who knows how to give you lots of useful advice). This wax must be applied inside the mold with a soft cotton cloth with circular movements being careful to treat all points of the mold and the upper part where the fabric and the resin will overflow). 7/8 coats of wax (each coat interspersed with air drying for about twenty minutes and light polishing) for a new mold are sufficient. In subsequent pressings he was able to give only a couple of coats of wax. After the wax, I also use polyvinyl alcohol given with a spray gun / airbrush: it is an additional release agent that forms a water-soluble film and which helps the extraction of the molded piece (someone does not use it).