RCU Forums - View Single Post - Flight Test and FPVFC Petition/Memo 2023 FAA Authorization.
Old 03-01-2023, 06:43 AM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
I wouldn’t call being truthful about the situation bragging. The fact is that during an IMAC or Pattern flight, most of the flight is under 400’. I know that is going to mean nothing to you. However when you go and fly at a schoolyard or other public use facility that is not purpose set up for R/C flying you are breaking the law as well.

2. The aircraft is operated in accordance with or within the programming of a community-based organization’s set of safety guidelines that are developed in coordination with the Federal Aviation Administration.

• I will use an established safety line to separate all model aircraft operations from spectators and bystanders.

While flying in a public use facility, you are not able to establish and enforce a safety line. Clearly a violation and clearly attracting more attention to yourself than someone flying at a site that is designated for model flight and breaking 400’ maybe 6 times for a few seconds each time. Not to mention that you can have an incursion of foot traffic at any time. I recall you being pretty hard on a club that admitted flying over people.
First, I'm not required to follow AMA's safety code. Only the code of a CBO. The one I'm following has no requirement for a safety line.

Second, even if I did follow the AMA's code, how do you know I am "not able to establish and enforce a safety line?" What are the requirements for "establish[ing]" and "enforce[ing]" a safety line? They're non-existent. It's whatever one believes it to be. I can't help but notice on the other forum you were silent on that club talking about how they fly over people riding horses and walking on paths. But you were. So either criticize them the same way you criticized me (above), or get off your high horse.

Third, since establishing and enforcing a safety line is completely undefined. IF I were to use your beloved AMA's code, I'd ensure that I have a clear view of the surrounding area to a distance at least twice the zero drag possible trajectory of what I'm flying, worst case. The safety line is defined as that line 180 degrees in front of me to the limits of the flying area. How I enforce it? If anything enters that bubble, I direct the velocity vector AWAY from the person that entered, and land immediately. People appear at the PERIMETER of my flying, they don't just pop up suddenly in the middle. I see them well in advance.

So while you admit to exceeding the limits of the law, albeit briefly, it's still a violation. And it's a violation at a time when the hobby you say you love so much has a target painted on it. And it's a violation at a time when the country to our immediate north just revoked exemptions for similar activities. And while you accuse me of violating the law, over the undefined and poorly worded "establish and enforce a safety line", you've yet to prove how I'm in violation.