RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1/6 Frank Wang Opel to RC
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2023, 09:06 AM
RC_BobM

Received 97 Likes on 76 Posts

hi Tanque (Jerry),
If you want a sturdy RC Opel truck then this is the quickest way to get there. The construction is generally good, but its intended to be static. Its all hand made, hand formed, spot welded steel. The frame is steel rectangular tube, so it is very strong. And it does require a lot of dissection - like removing all the non functional wheels and suspension and fake engine. It does give a good base for conversion. The Veroma axles and tires will set you back a lot as well. Not as expensive as an Armortek tank, but still expensive. I will have about $2500 -$2700 into this one when done. The other option is to build one from scratch - which IMO would take me even longer, as I make a CAD model first before cutting metal. Its not as nice as the Metalbox Opel detail wise -if you can find one those. I plan to make a second one into the halftrack version, using Geisswerk brass tracks. I'll be using Alum cast wheels, and 3D printed parts throughout.

I pre-ordered both of mine and I think they were around $1500 USD each including fast FEDEX shipping. Having the truck base saved me some work - but designing and building the working suspension has been a major project. But enjoyable as I love scratch building (and I have a lathe, CNC mill, printers etc). I think it will make a nice model once detailed and repainted. So in my opinion yes worth it, but definitely not for the faint of heart (build wise).

All of the surgery to remove stuff can be done with a dremel and cut off discs.
-Bob

Last edited by RC_BobM; 03-07-2023 at 09:09 AM.
The following users liked this post:
herrmill (03-22-2023)