RCU Forums - View Single Post - Higher altitudes for sanctioned events.
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2023, 03:23 PM
franklin_m

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speedracerntrixie
Yep, it’s easy for anyone who wants to see the writing on the wall. The FAA approves a waiver system for events. Where are events taking place? Schoolyards? Parks? Nope, they will be taking place at FRIAs. Sounds like the FAA realizes that they can’t enforce the 400’ altitude limit. Even Astro reluctantly admits that at a WA. AMA jamboree in 2021 that the 400’ altitude limit was not taken seriously. So the FAA has now given us a legal tool to use but the waiver application is part of a sanction. How many CBOs do event sanctions? That’s right folks, only AMA. So, what we now have is a situation where members of a dues collecting organization are getting a higher degree of privileges to the NAS then non members. Looks like someone is loosing his war.

I especially find this recent post from our resident “ aviation expert “ quite amusing.

I argue the AMA shows a similar cavalier attitude with respect to the conduct of its members at sanctioned events and hope to be FRIA locations .. specifically compliance with altitude restrictions. I predict that over time, unless the AMA shows that it will hold members accountable, it's not IF we see similar things here, but just WHEN.
Hey, good for them. But there is absolutely nothing that prevents other CBOs from "sanctioning" events too. Maybe their members don't care. Maybe they will in the future, in which case the AMA spent the travel dollars and the staff time, but all the other orgs will benefit from it. Sounds like they made the right move.

But the reality is think about what event sanctions bring. First, I don't think you should be so quick to assume that they'll always be approved. Second, each one then identifies to the FAA exactly where to go looking if they feel so inclined. And then there's the financials. Do you really expect clubs to start doubling, tripling, or even more the number of sanction fees they pay just to fly above 400? Which brings up the real threat to AMA ... financial.

This approval doesn't change that they're a discretionary hobby heading into a recession. It doesn't change that inflation is quite likely hitting the organization hard. It doesn't change the increasing age of members. It doesn't change the hit their investments likely suffered.