RCU Forums - View Single Post - Leopard 1s
Thread: Leopard 1s
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2023, 07:10 AM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts

So look what I found on the interwebs. A brand new 1970s spare package of Leopard 1 sprockets. From Spain no less. I had to get them just in case I ever need them.
I got the Belgian Leopard to the point now all the mechanical is now done. I should have taken some pics of the inside, I will do that next time. On this tank I am running tamiya pershing track which will get T84 pads replacing the steel chevrons.
The turret operations are completed and tested. I bored out the back of the gunners sight to install the IR bulb. I opened the apreature up to 3.4mm so its bigger than it used to be but still quite small.
In test firing at 100 feet. It still has a very narrow cone of fire to hit the target tank and there is no adverse IR scatter side ways that would effect teammates.

The Austrailian AS3 (Leopard 1a3) has gotten to the point of test driving and turret operation but I havent installed the IR or battle system yet.
After considerable test driving on pavement and dirt in our battlefield I have determined the really awesome ETO trany I contracted them to make for this tank to my specifications does not have enough torque to turn adequately while running the heavy metal track with grippy rubber pads. I think it would run fine with the old stock stamped metal track or the plastic pershing track but thats not what I want to run on this tank, its supposed to have this track. So.... I will probably have to remove the ETO trany and fit in a pair of tagin 3.1 with 390s like the others. Its sad I paid alot for the trany.

The following users liked this post:
bowlman (03-10-2023)